Senior Food Scientist
Wildtype is on a mission to create the cleanest, most sustainable seafood on the planet, starting with sushi-grade salmon. We’re pioneering cellular agriculture to protect wild species and our oceans, and to reverse trends of global food insecurity. Wildtype will provide consumers with a new option for real seafood that provides the same nutritional benefits as the most pristine wild-caught fish, without common contaminants such as mercury, microplastics, antibiotics, or pesticides.
We were founded in 2016 by Aryé Elfenbein, a cardiologist and molecular biologist, and Justin Kolbeck (CEO), a former US diplomat who served in Pakistan and Afghanistan, in an effort to solve one of the world’s biggest problems: how to feed a growing population without stripping the earth of its natural resources and biodiversity. Investors include L Catterton, Jeff Bezos, Spark Capital, CRV, Temasek, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Robert Downey Jr.’s Footprint Coalition, among others.
Come join us in transforming our food system for good!
Your work at Wildtype
- Contribute to overall product development by improving the physicochemical, sensory, and functional properties of cultivated seafood products
- Accelerate company’s cell integration research by characterizing and optimizing the biological contribution of cells to flavor and texture
- Design and oversee food science research and development, including ingredient interactions, protein chemistry, process optimization, ingredient innovation, scale up, sensory analysis, flavor development, and nutritional analyses
- Oversee procurement, analytics and formulation development
- Develop novel seafood products with various scaffold manufacturing technologies and cell integration approaches
- Evaluate novel ingredients, preparations, and production methods
- Operate cross-functionally at the intersection of food science, biology, engineering, and commercialization
What you bring to Wildtype
- An MS in Food Science or related area of study with 10+ years of food formulation experience, or PhD in Food Science or related area of study with 5+ years of experience in food product development
- A deep understanding of protein chemistry, fat and oil chemistry, hydrocolloids, component functionality, and ingredient interactions
- At least 3 years of team leadership experience
- Contribute to an environment of scientific curiosity
- Mission-driven, resourceful, creative, entrepreneurial, and a positive disposition
- The ability to move projects forward in the face of continuously evolving priorities and timelines
- Knowledge of food processing technology, food cost and scaling, food sensory properties analyses, ingredient regulatory framework, and food storage and packaging, are strongly preferred, but not required
- Standard protein and small molecule separation and characterization techniques (e.g., SDS-PAGE, capillary electrophoresis, enzymology, NMR, FITR, CD, UV/Vis/Fluorescence spectroscopy, HPLC, LC/GC-MS) are strongly preferred, but not required
What we’ll teach you
- How to apply your experience in food science & product formulation to the production of next-generation seafood
- How to work with and lead in a fast-moving, interdisciplinary team working at the leading edge of several fields, including Food Science, Tissue Engineering, and Bioprocess.
- Within 1 month You will have adapted your experience in food product development and food science to Wildtype’s unique context. You will have set your professional development goals for the next twelve months.
- Within 3 months you will have assumed responsibility for a small team of product developers, and started making advancements in the product quality by working closely with other product development teams.
- Within 6 months your efforts on R&D over the past six months will have yielded significant improvements to Wildtype’s seafood products. Your leadership responsibilities will expand as our food product development team grows. You will have trained several new hires and contributed to building a high-performing team.
- Within 12 months you will have meaningfully contributed to the overall direction of the company’s product development efforts, resulting in commercialization of products. You will have designed and directed the underlying research programs as they apply to food science and engineering, resulting in significant improvements in the quality of the company’s cultivated seafood products. You will have guided the transition of these research and development operations to the world’s first pilot-scale facility for cultivated seafood.
Location: This position is an onsite role based in San Francisco.
To learn more about Wildtype and see our newest updates, check out our blog!
Wildtype is committed to building a diverse workplace spanning multiple dimensions including race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, and veteran status.
Something looks off?