Associate Scientist: Flavor Formulation
Wildtype is on a mission to create the cleanest, most sustainable seafood on the planet, starting with sushi-grade salmon. We’re pioneering cellular agriculture to protect wild species and our oceans, and to reverse trends of global food insecurity. Wildtype will provide consumers with a new option for real seafood that provides the same nutritional benefits as the most pristine wild-caught fish, without common contaminants such as mercury, microplastics, antibiotics, or pesticides.
We were founded in 2016 by Aryé Elfenbein, a cardiologist and molecular biologist, and Justin Kolbeck (CEO), a former US diplomat who served in Pakistan and Afghanistan, in an effort to solve one of the world’s biggest problems: how to feed a growing population without stripping the earth of its natural resources and biodiversity. Investors include L Catterton, Jeff Bezos, Spark Capital, CRV, Temasek, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Robert Downey Jr.’s Footprint Coalition, among others.
Come join us in transforming our food system for good!
Your work at Wildtype
- Analytical Chemistry: Conduct method development for flavor analysis using GC-MS, GC-O, and LC-MS (both in-house and through external collaborations).
- Flavor Analysis: Analyze key odorants contributing to the targeted flavor profile using GC-MS, GC-O, and LC-MS. Experience with flavor analysis methods like CharmAnalysis, Aroma Extract Dilution Analysis (AEDA), and Flavor Precursor Analysis.
- Product Development collaboration: Work closely with product development teams to ensure the flavor profile meets desired specifications and consumer expectations.
- Documentation and reporting: Maintain accurate records of formulation development activities, experimental results, and formulation adjustments. Prepare comprehensive reports and technical documentation to communicate findings, recommendations, and project status.
- Industry trends and innovation: Stay updated with emerging trends, scientific advancements, and developments in cellular agriculture and seafood flavor industries. Propose and implement innovative flavor solutions based on market and consumer insights.
What you bring to Wildtype
- A minimum of a Master's + 4 years of analytical chemistry experience or a Ph.D. degree in Analytical Chemistry, Flavor Chemistry, Food Science, Biochemistry, or a related field. Industry or postdoctoral experience in analytical chemistry is preferred.
- Strong expertise (3+ years) in analytical chemistry, preferably with a focus on seafood/meat applications. Experience in cellular agriculture or alternative protein industries is a significant advantage.
- Proficiency in maintaining analytical instruments, including fixing minor mechanical issues and conducting regular maintenance.
- In-depth knowledge of seafood flavor chemistry is a plus, including the identification and characterization of key flavor compounds found in fish and shellfish.
- Experience with flavor stabilization techniques and technologies, as well as natural ingredient sourcing and extraction methods, is a plus.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to troubleshoot and optimize flavor formulations.
- Detail-oriented approach to experiments, with exceptional organizational and documentation skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, capable of collaborating effectively within cross-functional teams and across scientific disciplines.
- A resourceful, entrepreneurial, creative, and collaborative mindset. The ability to work cross-functionally with various teams and independently in the design and execution of flavor development experiments.
What we’ll teach you
- How to work with a fast-moving, interdisciplinary team working at the leading edge of numerous highly technical fields
- How cellular metabolism and cell-scaffold interactions contribute to flavor development
- How to work with cells and scaffolds to develop increasingly complex flavor profiles
- Within 1 month You will have understood Wildtype’s product states and approaches for flavor advancement. You will have started to develop a strategy to utilize the advantage of existing cellular metabolites and scaffolding for flavor improvement. You will take on the responsibility of advancing Wildtype’s seafood flavor formulation projects.
- Within 3 months You will have understood and identified the area of limitation and strategies for flavor improvement . You will have worked with other R&D teams to develop detailed plans for how to advance the flavor both in cell-specific and final product matrix approaches.
- Within 6 months You will have started making advancements in flavor of multiple SKUs. You will have identified the ways to make the best use of the advantage of having genuine cells as a flavor component. You will have presented key findings in company-wide research meetings.
- Within 12 months You will have continued to optimize Wildtype’s flavor assessment platform and led flavor assessment at different stages of product life cycles. Work with cell biology teams to advance cell-derived flavor profiles will have materialized into quantifiable product improvements.
Location: This position is an onsite role based in San Francisco.
To learn more about Wildtype and see our newest updates, check out our blog!
Wildtype is committed to building a diverse workplace spanning multiple dimensions including race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, and veteran status.