Research Associate: Muscle Differentiation
Wildtype is on a mission to create the cleanest, most sustainable seafood on the planet, starting with sushi-grade salmon. We’re pioneering cellular agriculture to protect wild species and our oceans, and to reverse trends of global food insecurity. Wildtype will provide consumers with a new option for real seafood that provides the same nutritional benefits as the most pristine wild-caught fish, without common contaminants such as mercury, microplastics, antibiotics, or pesticides.
We were founded in 2016 by Aryé Elfenbein, a cardiologist and molecular biologist, and Justin Kolbeck (CEO), a former US diplomat who served in Pakistan and Afghanistan, in an effort to solve one of the world’s biggest problems: how to feed a growing population without stripping the earth of its natural resources and biodiversity. Investors include L Catterton, Jeff Bezos, Spark Capital, CRV, Temasek, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Robert Downey Jr.’s Footprint Coalition, among others.
Come join us in transforming our food system for good!
What you will own at Wildtype
- Establish and characterize new myogenic cell lines from various marine species
- Transition cell lines to 3-dimensional suspension cultures, maximizing proliferation and myogenicity
- Optimize muscle differentiation conditions in 2D and 3D systems
- Improve cost efficiency and yield in small-scale production
What you bring to Wildtype
- A passion for making a better food system by creatively utilizing cellular and molecular biology and bioengineering tools
- Consistent results, meticulous technique, and good documentation practices
- Teamwork and resiliency
What we’ll teach you
- What it is like to work with a talented and motivated crew on the frontier of cellular agriculture innovation
- Molecular biology techniques for the characterization of myogenic cell lines. Cell culture methods for cell lines derived from marine species
- How to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and communicate effectively across multidisciplinary teams
- Within 1 month you will have learned Wildtype’s myogenic cell line establishment efforts and cell culture systems.
- Within 3 months you will have set your professional development goals for the next 2 years. You will have carried out experiments to help purify, induce, and/or validate myogenic cell lines.
- Within 6 months you will have helped to establish a new myogenic cell line. You will have been exposed to our tissue engineering systems. You will have progressed toward some of your self-defined professional development goals.
- Within 12 months you will have helped in the optimization of myogenic cell line cultures. You will also have started designing your own experiments to refine our protocols further and optimize muscle differentiation conditions.
Location: This position is an onsite role based in San Francisco.
To learn more about Wildtype and see our newest updates, check out our blog!
Wildtype is committed to building a diverse workplace spanning multiple dimensions including race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, and veteran status.