Research Associate: Midstream Process Development
Wildtype is on a mission to create the cleanest, most sustainable seafood on the planet, starting with sushi-grade salmon. We’re pioneering cellular agriculture to protect wild species and our oceans, and to reverse trends of global food insecurity. Wildtype will provide consumers with a new option for real seafood that provides the same nutritional benefits as the most pristine wild-caught fish, without common contaminants such as mercury, microplastics, antibiotics, or pesticides.
We were founded in 2016 by Aryé Elfenbein, a cardiologist and molecular biologist, and Justin Kolbeck (CEO), a former US diplomat who served in Pakistan and Afghanistan, in an effort to solve one of the world’s biggest problems: how to feed a growing population without stripping the earth of its natural resources and biodiversity. Investors include L Catterton, Jeff Bezos, Spark Capital, CRV, Temasek, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Robert Downey Jr.’s Footprint Coalition, among others.
Come join us in transforming our food system for good!
Your work at Wildtype
- Collaborate with the Scaling process development team to characterize, scale-up and implement upstream & midstream (cell harvesting) process at pilot and bench scale
- Design experiments and analyze data to improve process performance
- Support and train manufacturing teams on new or modify process implementation
- Explore different technologies to develop next generation of cultivated seafood products
- Provide suggestions to continuous improvement for Manufacturing and Scaling team
What you bring to Wildtype
- Bachelor's degree with 2-3 years or Masters degree with 0-1 year of research experience
- Experience with animal cell cultures is strongly preferred
- Experience with centrifugation is plus
- Experience with data analysis and handling is a plus
- Experience with automation and data engineering is a plus
- A hunger for learning, growth, and being part of a fast-moving, dynamic team
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organization skills
- Able to learn quickly and excel in a fast-paced work environment
- Self-starter, willing to take initiative to accomplish key tasks
What we’ll teach you
- How to apply your biological experience with aquatic cell cultures for the food industry
- How to make data driven decisions to drive R&D experiment designs
- How to work with a fast-moving, interdisciplinary team working at the leading edge of numerous highly technical fields
- How to continue growing as a scientist with outside-the-box thinking, creative experimental design, execution, and analysis
- Within 1 month you will gain familiarity with our current process development strategies, facility layouts, and team members. You will participate in our bench and pilot scale experiments and drive the success of improving Wildtype’s process and procedures.
- Within 3 months you will be leading experiments and contributing to multiple experiments in parallel. In addition, you will be collaborating and supporting the manufacturing team to learn about GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices)
- Within 6 months and beyond your efforts on R&D over the past six months will drive process improvement for manufacturing. In addition, you will gain the ability to demonstrate through in depth data analysis the value of your experiments.
Location: This position is an onsite role based in San Francisco.
To learn more about Wildtype and see our newest updates, check out our blog!
Wildtype is committed to building a diverse workplace spanning multiple dimensions including race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, and veteran status.