Staff Product Designer, Investing
Palo Alto, CA, USA · Remote
Posted on Friday, December 1, 2023
About the role
Wealthfront is looking for a staff product designer to lead the strategy and execution for our new suite of investing products. Wealthfront pioneered automated investing by offering broad access to sophisticated investing strategies at a fraction of the cost of traditional financial advisers. But that was only the beginning of a much broader vision for how our investing product can serve our mission to build a financial system that favors people over institutions. Since then, we’ve continued to expand the ways we help our clients build long-term wealth through saving and investing.
Your role will be to work with the cross-functional leaders on the investing area’s New Products team to lead the strategy, roadmap, and execution for our new suite of investing products. You’ll leverage quantitative and qualitative research to inform your strategy, craft delightful experiences that meet our customer and business goals, and define our bar for quality across the experience.
Success in this role will require strong communication skills, strategic thinking, a high bar for craft, and executional excellence. We’re looking for a design lead who is equally excited to design an excellent product experience as they are to get in the weeds collaborating on a strategy and roadmap for their team. A passion for investing is highly desirable.
Design at Wealthfront
Unlike many companies where designers are trained to make incremental changes and work through a chain of hierarchy to advocate for bold new ideas, designers at Wealthfront are expected to be innovative, creative and strategic, because design is critical to realizing our vision. Designers are expected to define problems, new opportunities and solutions that are deeply rooted in human psychology and behavior as well as a sound understanding of our technology and business, all in very tight collaboration with engineers, product managers, researchers and data scientists. In an environment where we’re making big bets, and innovation is encouraged, we embrace failure and care much more about the magnitude of success versus percentage of times we are successful. And unlike many organizations, design is an equal partner to engineering and product and plays an important role in the executive staff that collectively make all critical strategic decisions.
We’re a remote friendly team and open to candidates in the US.
- 6+ years of product design experience as an individual contributor at a consumer software company.
- You have a portfolio of high-quality work that shows your experience designing elegant and visually engaging solutions to complex problems that directly solve user needs.
- You take a structured, intentional approach to your work, leveraging frameworks and principles to articulate your design decisions.
- You have experience leading product design across the entire product process in close collaboration with your product, research, and engineering counterparts.
- You have experience defining your team’s strategy with help from Product and Research, and work together to build and maintain a roadmap that elegantly brings that strategy to life.
- You can demonstrate excellent communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills to build positive relationships to deliver great results.
- You love designing for the entire product process and can demonstrate a range of skills from high-level flows to detailed interactions.
- You’re an exceptional product thinker who takes a deep interest in understanding business and customer needs.
- Deep curiosity and interest about fintech.
Mindset that excels at Wealthfront
- Someone who embraces complexity, loves engaging in intellectually rigorous discussions, critically evaluates trade-off, both from a customer and business perspective.
- Someone who turns ambiguity into clarity and navigates the organization to drive alignment.
- Someone who consistently thinks about the company and team first and has the resilience to work tough situations, steps up and leads the team.
- Someone who goes above and beyond to make others around them successful.
- Someone who is enterprising and also demonstrates high agency. You don’t wait for change but instead move with urgency and come to the table with proposals on how to improve.
- Someone who deeply cares about learning and growing with the company.
Estimated annual salary range: $180,000 - $225,000 USD plus equity and a discretionary bonus.
Benefits include medical, vision, dental, 401K plan, generous time off, parental leave, wellness reimbursements, professional development, employee investing discount, and more!
Wealthfront started with the ambition to transform the investment advisory business, with the goal to unlock access to high quality investment advice for millions who were underserved by the traditional institutions. We built one of the first automated investment products that allows you to invest in a personalized portfolio of thousands of companies in seconds for a remarkably low fee. We then expanded. We now work with partner banks to offer exceptional banking features through a Wealthfront Brokerage Cash Account, which makes it remarkably easy for people to automate their finances end-to-end and eliminated the hassle of money management, all of which resulted in attracting more than $50 billion of our client’s hard earned money, pioneering the robo-advisor category and transforming the broader industry. And yet, we have a long way to go to achieve our mission to build a financial system that favors people, not institutions.
Wealthfront’s vision is to make it delightfully easy to build long-term wealth on your own terms. This vision is more relevant than ever because millions more people are getting into the market early and investing their hard earned savings in a handful of stocks. While this is a great way to start, it is inconsistent with building long-term wealth. We want to empower young investors to expand their horizon, and easily explore and execute on a wider range of investing strategies, make informed investment decisions that are consistent with their values and beliefs while also making it effortless to grow and compound their savings exponentially in a way that’s transformational to their lives and their long-term future.
For more information please visit www.wealthfront.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please review our candidate privacy notice.